Sunday, July 13, 2014

She's HERE!

Yes.
You probably heard our exciting news by now.
The waiting is over and Olivia Renee Del Castillo decided to offiially join us on July 8, 2014 after about 7 hours of labor.

Here is the story.

Ever since we moved (June 7th) and school ended (June 16th) life has been full of baby preparations!  We painted her nursery, got ALL of her furniture, organized her sweet little things, etc.  Sufficed to say, I have been busy and trying to treat every day as the "last" day I have to do this before our sweet (but needy) little one comes!
July 7th was no different.  After work, Esteban and I took the whole evening to run some errands in Virginia and ended by watching Captain America at one of our old stomping grounds.  So, waking up at 6am with some pressure on my back seemed normal.  However, I quickly realized (after a terribly named "plug" was "unplugged") that I was starting the labor process!  Being a novice at this whole labor and delivery thing, my continued back pain (that I attributed to gas caused by the I-probably-shouldn't-have-eaten-McD's the night before...ha!) didn't seem like contractions, so I didn't start charting them until I was crawling on the floor in pain!
So, fast forward to the charting, when I finally realized that what I was feeling and what was making me immediately assume the oddest positions were in fact contractions, they were about 50 seconds long and 2 minutes apart.
I was supposed to call the doctor at 3 minutes apart.
No time for that.
Grab the hospital bags and car seat (yep, hadn't installed that one yet) because we're going to the hospital!
Thankfully, 10:00 (or around that time) traffic is much better than 6 am traffic and we arrived at the hospital in record time! On our way up to the 3rd floor and into triage, I had to get out of the wheelchair I was in and assume my own yoga position (AKA get on all fours). So, when the nurses said that either they couldn't fully feel my cervix or that I was 10 cm. dilated, I knew I had to be the latter! 
In I go to a labor and delivery room where they break my water and I have to go through about 20 minutes of contractions until I'm ready to start pushing. 
Pushing was definitely the hardest.
I honestly didn't know if she would come out.  But after lots of encouragement from my husband, some helpful hints from the nurses and an hour and a half....we heard that sweet whimper and it all became worth it!

Baby Stats:
Olivia Renee Del Castillo
1:18 pm
8 lbs. 4 oz.
21 inches





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Mama! She is precious and I can't wait to "meet" her and MEET her! Praying for these days. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done mummy! And welcome Olivia! Congrats to daddy too! Besos from England :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure :) Welcome, Olivia!!

    ReplyDelete